Snowman cheese ball
This adorable Snowman Cheese Ball recipe is sure to be a crowd-pleasing appetizer at your next holiday party. Mix up cream cheese, cheddar cheese and seasonings—and then let your kids use their imaginations to frost and decorate this "Frosty the Cheeseman" appetizer recipe. Pair it with veggies and crackers for a fun Christmas party food.
Yield: Serves—a lot!
Inspired? Create and share by tagging @Hallmark_Canada.
- 4, 8 oz. packages cream cheese, at room temperature (2 oz. reserved for cheese ball frosting)
- 12 oz. grated cheddar cheese
- 1, 4.5 oz. package dried (chipped) beef, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. finely chopped chives
- 1 Tbsp. finely diced shallot
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped Italian parsley
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Place ingredients in bowl and beat with an electric mixer until all ingredients are mixed together well. Divide cheese mixture into two sections—one larger for the snowman's body and one smaller for the head. Wrap in plastic wrap and shape into balls. Refrigerate for two hours or until well chilled.
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 oz. reserved cream cheese
- 4 black olives cut into small circles for the eyes and small squares for the coal buttons and nose
- 1 piece baby corn (buy a few pieces from your grocery store salad bar), cut into ¼ inch piece for the corncob pipe
- 2 wooden skewers
- Zucchini cut into 1 inch piece and hollowed out for the hat
- Small red pepper, slice off small round end piece for the mouth
- Fresh thyme for the scarf and hat brim, plus two leaves for the eye centres
- Toothpick for the corncob-pipe mouthpiece
- Beat together sour cream and 2 ounces cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Before removing cheese balls from plastic wrap, re-form cheese into round balls. This will be easier to do after the cheese has chilled.
- Place larger cheese ball onto serving tray in desired spot. If you would like, place small pieces of parchment paper around base of cheese ball to protect tray from getting messy during frosting.
- Place two wooden skewers into the centre of the cheese ball to secure the head. Gently place head on the cheese ball body.
- After the head and body are attached, begin frosting the cheese ball. Using a small, offset spatula, completely cover the outside of the snowman with the chilled sour cream frosting.
- Finish the face, and dress the snowman using the remaining ingredients. Make sure his hat is jaunty!