Use the above recipe, but flavour with strawberry extract instead. For rainbow colours, paint the inside of your pastry bag with stripes of gel food colouring and pipe into poop-emoji style swirls.
Peppermint meringue cookies
Meringue cookies never disappoint. These sweet, light-as-air Peppermint Meringue Cookies will add the perfect pop of pretty to your holiday cookie tray. The pink tint in our Peppermint Meringue Cookie recipe makes them seem even more dainty. Your guests will find these minty swirls refreshingly satisfying.
Yield: About 24 cookies
Inspired? Create and share by tagging @Hallmark_Canada.
- 8 large egg whites
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 tsp. peppermint extract
- 1-2 drops red food colouring
- Colorful sprinkles for decorating
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Place egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar in a heatproof bowl. Set bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Whisk constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites are warm to the touch, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Take bowl from saucepan and beat mixture with an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, starting on low speed. Gradually increase speed to high while beating until stiff, glossy peaks form—about 5 to 7 minutes. Add peppermint extract and food colouring, and then mix until combined.
- Transfer mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a star-shaped pastry tip. Pipe small circles 2 inches apart on a parchment-covered baking sheet. Place in oven and bake with oven door open for 30 minutes. Turn oven off and leave in oven for another 30 minutes, still keeping the oven door open.
- Remove cookies from oven. Add sprinkles to each cookie and allow to cool completely before storing or serving.