- Wooden toothpicks and/or skewers
- Scissors or craft knife
- Hole punch
- Glue or glue stick
- Free printable toppers
- White cardstock
- Gifts wrapped in dark blue paper or gift bags
- Yellow construction paper or cardstock
- Red felt (for the Coffee Crusader cape)
- Coffee Mug (for the Coffee Crusader)
- Food and drinks
DIY Superhero Toppers for Father’s Day Breakfast
Nothing says “You’re awesome” like a breakfast spread and gifts decorated with these superhero toppers by Hallmark artist Kelly Castor. We used them to make a big deal out of Father’s Day, but they’re great for any of your heroes—from kiddos to coworkers.
What you’ll need for DIY Superhero Toppers
How to make food and drink toppers
1. Print page one of the free download in colour on cardstock.
2. Cut out the toppers with scissors or a craft knife.
3. Tape a toothpick or skewer to the back.
Stick the toppers in a short stack (or tall stack) of pancakes…in cupcakes…or through the garnishes on Dad’s favourite beverage.
Looking for a great Bloody Mary recipe? Here’s the one we used.
How to give presents some extra pop!
As long as you’re endowing pancakes with superpowers, you might as well give the gifts an upgrade.
Incog-neato gift bag:
- Cut out the mask on page two of the printable.
- Punch holes in each outer corner and tie on some baker’s twine.
- Tie the mask onto a gift (or the sidekick of your choice).
- Wrap your gift or gifts in dark, solid blue or black wrapping or tissue paper.
- Cut squares and rectangles for the lighted windows out of yellow construction paper or cardstock.
- Glue the windows on and arrange the gifts in a cityscape.
Coffee Crusader cape:
- Cut a piece of felt about 1 inch shorter than and 3/4 the diameter of your coffee mug.
- Cut an even number of holes about 1/4–1/2 inch from the top, about 1/2 inch apart.
- Cut a piece of baker’s twine at least 1 1/2 times the diameter of the mug and string it through the holes in the cape.
- Glue a star or lightning bolt (from page one of the printable) to the back.
- Tie it around the coffee mug above the handle.