What you’ll need:
- Chocolate cake mix (dark chocolate or devil’s food preferred)
- Buttercream frosting (recipe below)
- Two 12oz. bags red candy melts
- 1 16oz. jar maraschino cherries
- Solid vegetable shortening
- Red sugar sprinkles
- Parchment paper
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2-4 teaspoons heavy cream (2% milk works in a pinch)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Yields approximately 6 dozen (72) cake truffles.
Notes: Maraschino cherries can be tricky to locate in stores. If they’re not with the canned/jarred fruit, look near the olives and pickles. Also, if you don’t need this many cake truffles, simply freeze one cake and half the buttercream for a small cake or another batch of cake truffles later.