What to give
- Grab a pen and some stationery and write the kind of love letter that will be tucked away forever. Need help getting started? Try these tips from Hallmark writer Keely Chace.
- Give a book of romantic “love coupons,” purchased or homemade, that can be redeemed for back rubs, chores or other favours.
- Give your mate a pack of beautiful stationery.
- Get matching smart watches or find an antique or vintage clock for your wall or mantel.
- Take out a full-page ad in the local newspaper wishing your partner a happy anniversary and sharing your love for him or her with the world.
Don’t forget the card! Your paper anniversary is not complete without telling your partner just how much their love means.
What to write
What to write in a 1st anniversary card
- “This first year has been so full of love—I can’t wait to see where the other years take us!”
- “When I saw you on our wedding day, my heart was bursting with love…and somehow I love you even more a year later.”
- “Everything I fell in love with is still there, and in this past year, I’ve found even more reasons to love you.”
What to write about in a 1st anniversary love letter
- Your favourite memory from this past year
- What you’ve learned about your partner this year
- A goal (or wish or promise) for your next year of marriage
How to celebrate
- Relive your honeymoon at home (recreate your favourite meals and the ambiance of the restaurant) or by visiting restaurants and attractions, if they’re nearby.
- Don’t forget to eat that cake you froze from your wedding day. (Or, if you didn’t, track down a cake that’s similar to your wedding cake and feed each other a slice.)
- Print out your vows on paper—the traditional first anniversary gift—and frame them.