Jack O’Lantern Cupcakes
Jack O’Lantern Cupcakes will get your kiddos giggling with their funny faces. This easy Halloween cupcake decorating activity uses simple ingredients (hello, cake mix!) and is super-easy to put together.
- 1 white boxed cake mix, plus any ingredients listed on the box
- 1 can prepared white frosting
- Red, yellow (or orange), and green food coloring
- 6 small Tootsie Rolls, cut in half, for stems
- Edible googly eyes (available at baking stores and online)
- 12 cupcake liners (paper or silicone—you’ll take them off before decorating)
- Follow the instructions on the cake mix to make a dozen cupcakes, using the instructions on the food coloring to tint the batter orange. Let the cupcakes cool.
- Use a sharp knife to carefully trim the rounded tops off each cupcake, leaving the top completely flat. Remove the cupcake liners.
- Tint one quarter of the frosting green, and the rest orange.
- Spoon orange frosting on one cupcake top, and add another cupcake upside down to start your pumpkin.
- Press one Tootsie Roll into the top of each pumpkin. Use a knife or piping bag to create leaves on top with the green frosting.
- Attach the edible googly eyes with dabs of frosting. Play with how close or far they are from each other, and from the “smile,” to change the facial expressions.