During the holiday season, it’s important to be aware of and respect your friend’s grief. One way to do that is to keep their loved one in the conversation and show that you remember. Here are a few ways to open opportunities to share feelings and memories:
- Check in regularly in the way they prefer: phone, text, email, note or an in-person visit. Give them a chance to talk about their loss or tell stories about their loved one.
- If you gather for a holiday meal, offer to create a place setting at your table for your friend’s loved one.
- Bring something delicious in memory of their loved one—consider picking up or making one of their favourite foods.
- Fill a stocking or small photo album with memories or photos of their family member.
- Accompany them (if they’re comfortable) to visit the gravesite. Help them carry a new Christmas bouquet, mini tree or memento for the headstone.
- Make a plan to get together Christmas morning, New Year’s Eve or other days they’re dreading—even if it’s just a quick call or Skype hangout.