We know the power of Black love. And as women we have so many ways to express that to our families.
We “do” for them, whatever the thing is that needs to be done. We
cook for them, clothe them and sometimes even clean up after them. We
hustle them around from point A to point Z. And we got everybody’s back.
We pray over them for wholeness, healing, strength and that they keep faith that they are forever on the rise. We make safe spaces for them,
so they feel secure, recognized, held in our arms, protected and
wrapped up in our kindness and care. And we hold them up with faith and
joy when things are pressing down.
But one of the most important ways to express our love is to let the
people we love know on the regular and right out loud, no matter what,
how precious they are to us.
There’s nothing like letting somebody know without a doubt that you
are grateful for them. Because that kind of gratitude is saying more
than “Thank you.” It’s saying, “You are the good difference in my life.”
Maybe it’s a text or a quick phone call. Maybe it’s a note or card
tucked into a lunchbox, briefcase or snail mailbox. Maybe it’s a TikTok
video. I don’t know these things! But it’s the words that matter.
- “Bro, you so silly! You keep me weak!”
- “Daddy, love seeing your strength in play.”
- “Mama, I know how to be more joyful because of you.”
- “Sis, love how you live so true to you!”
- “Son, you are the epitome of dope.”
- “Auntie, thank you for being a joy-bringer in my life.”
- “Fam, you got ALL the goods. So thankful for you.”
- “Cuz, your dopeness is on full display.”
- “Daughter, you are the fulfillment of powerful dreams.”
You could even write a family mantra to let all your people know how much having each other and being a family matters:
In this house
we lift each other up,
hold each other down,
pull each other close,
and speak the words
of love, resilience and power
that will always bring us through